Friday, January 28, 2011

Do I look bilingual?

At the beginning of this semester I decided to join Provo Youth Mentoring. This is basically where I go into an elementary school and help out one of the kids for an hour every week.  First day, my girl comes to the office and I make sure that she has homework from her teacher that she can do.   As I glimpse at it I notice that it is math, which good because I am good at math.  As I try to read the instructions I realize they are in Spanish...crap(I don’t actually speak Spanish at all)... Not a problem the little girl looks Mexican maybe she can read Spanish, she can't, which is awesome. I tell myself, not a big deal right; I am sure I can figure out these questions, just color in a certain amount of apples and we should be golden.  This strategy worked well except for the fact that the last question was a story problem... So I may have guessed as to what it was asking basically helping her make up an answer oops.  Needless to say the next day when the little girl came with her math homework there wasn't a single word, English or Spanish, on it. I don't think this reflects my reading or writing skills at all right?

3 comments:

  1. BAHAHAHAHA! I think they are trying to tell you that you can't read... unless it's numbers and equations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that is awesome! You would think math would be a universal language but apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. Thanks for sharing the laughs with us.

    ReplyDelete